What Makes A Tillman Scholar?
Our scholars have a proven track record of dedication and perseverance. They believe their best years of service are still ahead of them. Tillman Scholars are committed to strengthening communities at home and around the world.
- Service: Dedicated to service beyond self in and out of uniform
- Scholarship: A lifelong learner, passionate about intellectual growth
- Humble Leadership: Selflessly committed to leading by example
- Impact: Determined to unite others and advance ideas that change the world
Everyone has their own path to forge. Tillman Scholars are changing lives and creating their own legacies.
The Tillman Scholar Network
Tillman Scholars are military veterans and spouses with a high potential for impact as demonstrated through a proven track record of leadership, the continued pursuit of education and the commitment of their resources to service beyond self.
The Tenets of The Tillman Scholar Program Are:
- Scholarship: Annual funding for academic expenses, including tuition, books and living expenses.
- National Network: Access to a community of high-performing peers, mentors and industry leaders.
- Professional Development: Opportunities to advance knowledge, skills and experience.
Application Cycle Opens Feb. 1, 2020.
Who is Eligible?
The Tillman Scholar program is open to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Veteran and active duty service members from all branches of the military including National Guard and Reserves who have served in pre- and post-9/11 service areas
- Current spouses of veteran or active duty service members, including surviving spouses
Spouses, veterans and service members who apply must be a full-time* student pursuing one of the following degrees at a public or private, U.S.-based, accredited institution:
- An undergraduate degree (or above)
- A graduate or professional degree
*full-time as determined by the institution and program of study to which an applicant is applying
Strong applicants demonstrate clear academic goals, extraordinary leadership potential and a deep desire to create positive change. They believe their best years of service to our country are still ahead of them, and they are committed to strengthening communities at home and around the world.
What is Needed to Apply?
The Tillman Scholar Program is a merit-based academic fellowship. Applicants will be required to submit the following materials:
- Current resume
- Two, 400-word essays based on prompts provided in the application
- Financial worksheet
- Character recommendation from a third party
- Biography of no more than 250 words
If an applicant progresses in the selection process, they will be required to submit:
- Student Aid Report (SAR) generated through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Two photos from military service or with their spouse who is/was in the military
- Institutional financial aid award letter
- Applicants at this stage of the selection process will also be required to complete a background check.
Can a Tillman Scholar Award be Renewed?
Annual funding renewability will be considered for Tillman Scholars based on:
- Meeting the expected graduation date
- Proof of full-time student status and a minimum 3.0 GPA earned
- Engagement with the Tillman Scholar community
- Documented participation in service
- Accountability for use of scholarship funds
All criteria must be met in order to be renewed. Review of renewal status is conducted each June by the foundation. Students who have to extend their expected graduation date must provide proof of extenuating circumstances. Tillman Scholars are expected to maintain full-time enrollment in a U.S. accredited institution unless they are assuming part-time status during the semester they will graduate.
Scholarship funding can only be used toward a single, post-secondary degree.
Tillman Scholar Application FAQs
What is a University Partner? How do I know if my school is a University Partner?
After March 14, applicants may not move in or out of the University Partner track. This means that if you attend a non-University Partner school after applying as a candidate at a University Partner institution, your application is not valid.
Do I need to be a full-time student?
What if I am taking my classes online?
Are students attending 2-year community or technical colleges or trade certification programs able to apply?
I am working to obtain a certification in a particular academic field. Am I eligible to apply?
Does it matter where my school is located?
Is there a minimum GPA requirement in order to be considered?
I am the child of a veteran or service member. Am I eligible to apply?
My spouse was discharged from the military. Am I eligible to apply?
I am a service member/veteran and my spouse is also a service member/veteran. Should I apply as a spouse or a service member?
What if I have not yet enrolled in a particular school? Can I still apply?
I see there is a background check requirement. I am concerned about an event in the past. What’s your policy?
A question on the application is asking me to enter a date. What if I am unsure of the exact date?
I’m having trouble uploading documents in the application portal. What can I do?
Are essays required for this application?
Are letters of recommendation required for this application?
What if my recommender has not submitted their recommendation and the deadline is coming up?
What documents are acceptable to confirm my/my spouses military service?
What if I cannot obtain one of the listed military service documents?
- A date of entry into active duty;
- A date of separation or release from active duty;
- Verification of awards or decorations mentioned elsewhere in this application; and
- The character of the discharge (proof of honorable discharge or separation).
*Please black out your social security number on all forms before uploading. If you progress through the selection process, we may reach out with questions or require you to provide additional documentation.
I do not have a digital version of my military service document. Can I fax or mail in a hard copy?
What if there is sensitive information (e.g. Social Security Number) included in my military service document and I do not want to transmit this over the internet?
I am hesitant about the security of the overall process and the online application. What measures do you take to protect my information?
Is a transcript or academic record required for this application?
What information do you require to substantiate my financial need?
- Academic expenses (e.g., tuition, books, fees)
- Living and personal expenses (e.g., insurance, childcare, rent, meals, transportation)
- Sources of income (e.g., salary, GI Bill and other federal benefits, other scholarships).
Please be sure to follow the prompts for joint (if married) and individual financial information.
The dollar amounts on the financial page do not fully represent my true need. How can I explain my financial circumstances further?
How much is the award amount if I am chosen as a Tillman Scholar?
I applied for this program last year and was not accepted. Can I apply again this year?
I used my scholarship funding as a Tillman Scholar to fund a previous degree. Can I apply again for another degree?
What types of expenses can I use my scholarship funds for, should I be selected?
If I am selected as a Tillman Scholar, when will the award funds be available?
What should I do if I have completed my application, but the website will not allow me to submit the completed application?
When is the application due?
Can I start the application, save my inputs, and return later to complete it?
When can I expect to hear about the status of my application?
The following institutions are partners with the Pat Tillman Foundation. These partners demonstrate strong support for their military veterans and spouses and are proud to support Tillman Scholars on their campuses. The Pat Tillman Foundation accepts University Partners on an invitation-only basis and is not accepting new University Partners at this time.
If you are a student at one of our University Partners and have a question specific to your institution, please click the logo of your school and contact the person listed.