Director of Development
The deadline to apply for this position is July 8, 2019.
The Pat Tillman Foundation (PTF) unites and empowers remarkable military veterans and spouses as the next generation of public and private sector leaders committed to service beyond self. Inspired by Pat Tillman, who proudly put his NFL career with the Arizona Cardinals on hold to serve his country, family and friends established the Pat Tillman Foundation following Pat’s death in April 2004 while serving with the 75th Ranger Regiment in Afghanistan. Over the last 15 years, the Pat Tillman Foundation has supported 635 Tillman Scholars as they’ve furthered their education and increased their professional impact in the world.
PTF seeks an experienced and dynamic Director of Development to lead national development efforts in support of our mission and our growing Tillman Scholar community. They will serve on the five person Executive Team of PTF to create, manage, and deliver on a three year strategy with an eye toward an earned income revenue model. We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. If you believe you have the skillset to succeed in this role, regardless of industry, we encourage you to apply.
Who You Are
- Driven and adaptable. You want to leverage the skills you’ve built over your 10+ years of experience, whether in fundraising or elsewhere, that demonstrate exceptional leadership ability and effective management.
- Inspired and inspirational. You are moved by the selfless sacrifice of our country’s veterans and their families, even if you didn’t serve personally. You love working with people and know how to excite them about the opportunities to fund the Pat Tillman Foundation’s work. You love brainstorming to come up with big, inspiring ideas.
- Deal closer. You know how to deliver on big, inspiring ideas. You can communicate clearly and concisely. You make compelling asks and know how to prospect as well as close funding opportunities. You understand the power that small, daily, consistent actions have to create trust and build lasting relationships.
- Fundraising guru. You have deep knowledge of both the art and science of fundraising, and have shown you can deliver on a plan that includes corporate, major, and individual gifts. You have a strong facility with fundraising software and a broad understanding of donor acquisition and digital giving.
- Results- and data-driven. You are driven by results and informed by data. You use data to make decisions and translate strategy into action.
- Highly organized. You are a systems thinker who can manage multiple projects and prioritize appropriately to produce high-quality results quickly and on time. You create clear and logical systems and processes to support your work and that of your team.
- Detail-oriented. You are highly efficient and detailed with donor lists and management of fundraising software. You can use these tools to create impactful strategies.
- Relationship-driven. You love having the opportunity to work across diverse constituents, representing a wide range of donors and members of the community who support veterans and leadership development.
- Passionate. You care about making a difference in the world, and want to support veterans and their families working at an impactful level across sectors including health, law, business, policy, academia, government, and defense. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee development activities for a $5 million non-grant-making foundation to meet or exceed revenue targets across corporate, major, and individual giving.
- Manage a portfolio of individual and corporate donors and lead all stages of engagement including: identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Deliver, own, and improve upon a high quality donor experience.
- Prepare financial progress reports and budgets for the CEO and Director of Operations.
- Cultivate new relationships and manage existing relationships around key PTF events, some of which you’ll be responsible for driving: Tillman Honors, Pat Tillman Leadership Summit, Pat’s Run, Pints for Pat, Regional Summits, and Team Tillman.
- Leverage data in PTF infrastructure and across teams to drive impact.
- Create a development strategy that supports PTF’s three year strategy, unifying efforts across major gifts, online giving, and partnerships with the goal of doubling current revenue.
- Create and support a community of stakeholders who are more than financially invested.
- Develop our digital giving strategy, working with our marketing team to create sophisticated digital strategies and campaigns.
- Develop and execute a funding model that rebalances in favor of earned income.
- Externally represent a nonprofit deeply rooted in values, committed to impact, and inspired by the selfless service of Pat Tillman, service members, veterans, and spouses.
- Lead a development team based in Chicago and elsewhere.
- Engage and leverage Board of Directors and Tillman Scholar community in fundraising.
- Lead and support the Board of Directors’ fundraising committee.
- Partner with Executive Team of CEO, and Directors of Program, Brand & Communication, Development, and Operations to guide long term strategy.
This position is based in Chicago, Illinois and reports to the CEO. Some travel is required.
The deadline to apply for this position is July 8, 2019.
In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please submit your answers to the two essay questions in the application in 400 words or less each. This process mirrors the process our Tillman Scholars go through when they apply.
“To err on the side of passion is human and right and the only way I’ll live.”